Chris Giunchigliani: Professional and Community Involvement...
Chris Giunchigliani has worked as a car hop, cashier, cook, waitress, maid, hostess, bartender, teacher and public servant. She is deeply involved in community and professional activities, and has held elected office since her first election in 1990.
Clark County Responsibilities
Commissioner Giunchigliani was selected by her fellow commissioners to serve in the following capacities:
- Vice Chair – University Medical Center of Southern Nevada Board of Trustees
- Vice Chair - Liquor & Gaming Licensing Board
- Vice Chair – Kyle Canyon Water District Board of Trustees
- Vice Chair – Local Law Enforcement Advisory Board (Justice Assistance)
- Member – Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition
- Member – Southern Nevada District Board of Health
- Member – Regional Transportation Commission
- Member – Regional Water Conservation and Flood Control District
- Alternate - Las Vegas Global Economic Alliance
Commissioner Giunchigliani has also served as:
- Member – Gaming and Liquor Board
- Member – Metropolitan Police Committee on Fiscal Affairs
- Member and Vice Chair – University Medical Center
- Member – Southern Nevada Water Authority
- Member – Las Vegas Valley Water District
- Member and Chair – Clark County Health Department
- Member and Chair – Redevelopment Agency
- Member – County Commission Zoning Board
- Member - Regional Rapid Transit Authority Board
- Member – Regional Transportation Commission
- Alternate Member – Nevada Development Authority
- Member – Commission on Aging, State of Nevada
- Member – Legislative Committee to Study the Funding of Higher Education’s Community College Funding Subcommittee
- Member – Legislative Committee on Public Lands
- Member – Indigent Accident Fund
- Member – Advisory Committee for Intergovernmental Relations (ACIR)
- Member – Recycling Committee
- Member – Regional Flood Control District
As a citizen or as a Clark County Commissioner, Chris also serves on the following boards:
- Greater Las Vegas After-School All-Stars Board Member
- Greater Las Vegas After-School All-Stars Chair of Education Committee
- Southern Nevada Elected Caucus 2013 Co-Chair with Councilman Beers
- Member – UNLV Committee to Study Stadium Feasibility
- Legislative Interim Study Community Colleges – Subcommittee on Governance and Funding 2014
- Clark County Water Reclamation District
- Clark County Audit Committee
- UNLV Campus Improvement Authority Board 2013
- Non-Profit CEO Advisory Council of United Way since 2011
- Metro Arts Council of Southern Nevada since 2008
- Green Chips 2012
- Gray Plunkett Jydstrup Board of Directors, a privately owned, non-profit low-income senior residence
- ASPCA Advisory Board Member
Additionally Chris is active in community affairs and is a member of the following organizations:
- Member – Hispanics in Politics
- Member – Latin Chamber of Commerce
- Member – NAACP
- Member – American Association of University Women
- Member – AFAN
- Member – Seniors United
- Member – ACLU
- Member - Stonewall Democrats
- Member – Latino Democratic Club
- Member - Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada
- Member - Democratic Central Committee
- Member - National Organization for Women
- Member – Southern Nevada Society for Prevention of Animal Cruelty
- Member – Nevada Conservation League
- Life Member – Sierra Club
- Life Member - Nevada PTA
Chri’s previous public and community service has also included:
- Neighborhood Watch Co-captain
- Former Member – Advisory Board for Maternal and Child Health, starting in 2003 - 2005
- Former Member – Department of Corrections Re-entry Steering Committee, starting in 2004 - 2005
- Former Member Circle Park Steering Committee, 2003-2004
- Appointed to serve on the University Council on Teacher Education 1987 - 1990
- Former Member Mount Charleston Volunteer Association, Inc.
- Former Member – National Youth Sports Program Board of Directors
- Former Member – United Way Review and Allocations Committee
- Former Member – Clark County Community Block Grant Committee
- Selected as a Young Political Leader to tour India and Pakistan and share ideas about American democracy 1997
- Elected as Nevada Delegate to the National Democratic Convention (1984 and 2008)
- Former Clark County deputy voter registrar
- Former Bell Ringer, Salvation Army Christmas Campaign
- Former State PTA Board of Managers, Consulting Member (Life Member of Nevada PTA)
- Former Member – National Women's Political Caucus
- Former Member – National Education Association
- Former Member – Nevada State Education Association
- Former Member – Clark County Education Association
- Former Member - Nevada Empowered Women's Project
Appointments and service.
- Appointed – Committee to Study the Fiscal Affairs of State and Local Government by Governor Richard Bryan
- Appointed – Council on Narcotics Control and Drug Abuse by Governor Richard Bryan
- Appointed –Trust Fund for the Education of Pupils by Governor Richard Bryan
- Appointed – Governor's Commission on Excellence in Education by Governor Bob Miller
- Appointed – Task Force on Student Truancy by District Attorney Stewart Bell
Previous Elected Service.
Chris was first elected to the Nevada State Assembly in 1990, and while a legislator held the following positions between 1991 and 2006:
- Speaker Pro Tempore – Nevada State Assembly
- Vice-Chair – Ways and Means Committee
- Vice-Chair – Growth and Infrastructure Committee
- Member – Interim Finance Committee
- Member – Committee on Commerce and Labor
- Chair – Elections, Procedures and Ethics
- Chair – Labor and Management Committee for three terms
- Member – Taxation Committee
- Member – Ways and Means Committee
- Member – Legislative Commission (manages the legislature when not in session)
Commitment and Work in Education.
- Teacher, Shawnee Mission School District Kansas 1976-78 Indian Creek Junior High 7th through 9th grade.
- Special Education Teacher, Clark County School District, 1979 – 2002, 2004 - 2007,serving as both a 6th through 8th grade special education teacher and as a special education facilitator.
- Director of School District and Community Relations at the Community College of Southern Nevada, 2003.
- President, Clark County Education Association, 1983-1987.
- President, Nevada State Education Association, 1987-1991 during which time she traveled to every school district in Nevada, meeting with teachers, administrators and parents.
- Attended St. John Bosco Elementary School, Chicago, Illinois.
- Attended St. Anne’s Elementary (grades 7 and 8), Barrington, Illinois.
- Graduate, Barrington High School, Barrington, Illinois.
- Graduate, Bachelors Degree in Special Education, Avila College, Kansas City, Missouri.
- Graduate, Masters Degree in Special Education with emphasis on teaching the emotionally disturbed, University of Nevada Las Vegas.
- Continued post-graduate classes and seminars.
Hobbies and Personal Activities.
In the spare time she has, Chris enjoys traveling, gardening, reading, hiking and skiing. Chris and her husband have traveled to all 7 continents. She redesigned the landscape of her home, making it all water-saving and drought tolerant. Neighbors are never surprised to receive a box of books Chris has read and thought they might enjoy.
She hikes regularly in the Mount Charleston area, enjoys outings to Red Rock, Valley of Fire and Zion Park. And, she’s skied much of the American west, taken on challenging routes in Canada, skied in Austria and has skied from Italy into Switzerland at the Matterhorn and from Italy into France at Mont Blanc.